While waiting impatiently for the buttons I ordered for my first McCall’s shirt dress to arrive, I couldn’t help but cut another shirt dress pattern. This time, a combination of McCall’s 6696 and 6891. Since I prefer a proper shirt bodice on my dress shirts (with yoke, collar band and collar), so I combined the bodice of view B of 6696 with the skirt of 6891.
Now I don’t know if this happens to you but when I see a pattern, I begin to think of many more possible combinations than is provided; as well as how I can make it a teeny bit more interesting by adding little details like contrast pockets, collar facing, etc. However, I held back this time only because I thought this fabric has a lot going on already.
- Fabric – 100% cotton denim with multi-coloured polka dots I bought from Fabric Time. This is not jeans-like denim, it drapes and hangs well.
- Size – I graded from size 14 at bust to size 18/20 at waist and hip.
- Buttons – Fabric-covered buttons I made from 11mm plastic blanks.
Alterations/Changes I made
- My fabric wasn’t quite wide enough to accommodate the hem of the skirt, so I reduced it by 3 inches on the pattern pieces.
- I didn’t use the waist band that came with the bodice, but added 1/4″ to the length of my waist.
- I used the button and button hole band on McCall’s 6696.
- I love the discreetness of thread loops, so I made two on the waist as belt loops.
- I disregarded the pocket instructions (I wasn’t sure I’d like the style) and used this version I found on YouTube by Marina Brompton instead. It gives me nice looking pockets everytime and they STAY PUT. I’ll try and show you my steps in another post.
- I finished the hem based on the Beginners’ Sewing Course – Circle Skirt by Anita by Design on YouTube. A similar technique to the one here.
Likes – I love everything about this combo, particularly the skirt which I think is more like a 3/4 and not a full circle; it works really well with my choice of fabric too.
Dislikes – I can’t quite say I didn’t like the pocket that came with the skirt because I didn’t use it.
Blunders – Nothing major, YAY! Though I think my button holes could be better.
Things I’ll change next time – The only thing I can think of is to cut the back of the skirt on the fold, as I don’t quite get why it had to be cut separately.
Will I make this again? Definitely.
Now, it’s show time.
Till next time.