Accessories · My Creations · Stitching

Knitting Tote In Progress

I currently have two project bags, both with drawstrings. The first one I made (and my favourite till now) was with recycled fabric and supplies (yes, I’m cheap like that 😉). The fabric was my leather handbag bag, and it’s rather small. The second which is a tad bigger has been looking the worse for wear for sometime now, and never leaves home. That means I only have a smallish bag to carry my knitting around it. They were adequate when I first started knitting, but it’s now time for a spanking new bag.

As someone who knits on the go, I wanted a much bigger project bag that can take a whole jumper, if need be, with inner pockets, and no zip closure so as so be able to knit while on the move. So I started looking online for inspiration, and finally narrowed my choice to a tote bag, without a zip.

img_6687
From left; red canvas, lining fabric and patterned canvas

Outer Bag Fabric: 100% cotton; plain red and patterned canvas from Fabric Time and myfabric.co.uk respectively.

Outer Bag Interfacing – Vilene G700 woven interfacing for the patterned canvas and Decovil Light for stabilising. I didn’t interface the red canvas because it’s a slightly heavier fabric than the patterned canvas.

Lining Fabric – 100% cotton from MinervaCrafts.

Lining Interfacing – Vilene H630 (I think this is the equivalent of fusible fleece) for main lining, G700 woven interlining for pocket, and Decovil I Light to give some structure.

Supplies – all purpose threadsnaps, eyelets, invisible magnetic clasp, polypropylene webbing, zip for outer pocket, plastic mesh from Fabric Time for bag bottom.

I didn’t have a pattern, but I based mine loosely on this Debbie Shore’s YouTube tutorial with my own measurements. I liked the idea of separate panels instead of boxed corners and it enabled me use a different fabric for the two narrower sides and bottom. In all, there are five pieces.

img_6791
Outer bag ready to be stitched to lining

For the handles, I stitched together two 25″ long polypropylene webbings together to get more sturdier handles as this is a big’ish’ tote. I was going to cover them with fabric to make the handles, but decided against it because I think the streets of London need some colour 😊.

B6B9302B-2E4B-4465-A9D1-D052809108DF
Inside of main bag; plastic bag bottom stitched at base to seam allowance; surrounding shows Decovil I Light

I decided not to use bag feet, so I’ve just hand-stitched the plastic bag bottom to the seam allowance. As before, I’m inserting Decovil Light in-between the main bag and lining before stitching both at the top, and I’ve tacked them together at intervals so they can stay in place inside the bag.

Instead of a zip for closure, I stitched invisible magnetic clasps to the interfaced side of the lining so they’ll just snap together to close the bag. These are encased in vinyl I believe and stitched around the four sides.

0CD38055-DCC9-425B-BE0C-17ECE8CE4753
Square strips of woven interfacing pressed down to give extra strength to the spots where I’ll be stitching the magnets

0BD458BE-50D9-4F39-A8B4-528007DE8D50

And I fixed three eyelets for easy yarn management should I happen to be knitting colourwork projects.

C611D825-98E8-4831-93CD-560A773D7348
Lining showing pocket with three eyelets for yarn. The magnified area shows where the invisible magnetic is stitched
img_6787
Other side of lining

img_67541

That’s all for now. I should have a finished bag ready for my Rowan’s Orkney in the not too distant future.

Enjoy the rest of your weekend.

☮️

11 thoughts on “Knitting Tote In Progress

Leave a Comment

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s